Professionals and non-professional photographers are sharing millions of photographs on the internet every day. One of the things we have noticed is that with the advent of new technology, the number of photographs circulating is increasing exponentially. And, with this change, the quality of the images is also improving. No where is this trend more noticeable but in underwater photography. Many non-professional photographers are creating images that only a few years ago, professional photographers were obtaining. This trend is pushing professionals and non-professionals to stretch and create even more challenging and special images.
At Oceanic Ventures, photography is part of our passion for the underwater world and in 2019, we want to push our family of divers to create even more incredible images. To help in this endeavor, we have put together the Oceanic Ventures Photography Contest. To make it even more interesting, we have partnered with a number of diving manufacturers and some truly inspiring judges to help us with the contest. But most of all, we want you to join us in celebrating the people, places, reefs and ships where we live and dive by creating some inspiring images and pushing your own photographic boundaries. We are really excited to view your images!
Bare Sportswear, Cayman Islands Department of Tourism, Fourth Element, Rock ‘n Sports, Suunto, Zeagle
To help focus your efforts, here are the categories for the Contest:
- Category A: Macro Still Underwater Photography
- Category B: Wide Angle Still Underwater Photography
- Category C: Top Side Still Photography
- Category D: Makes Me Laugh (Surface or Underwater)
- Category E: Creative or Experimental Underwater Photography (eg. Night Sea® or creative Flash photography)
- Category F: Dive Around Texas Still Photography
- Category G: Video (Top Side or Underwater)
- Category H: Point and Shoot Camera (excludes “mirrorless camera”)
Now here is the fun part…
Awards and Prizes will be given for the best overall still photograph as determined by the judges and for each of the categories.
November 1, 2018 12:01am, Houston time, to October 31, 2019 at 12:00 Midnight, Houston Time. All Entries must be submitted to the organizer before 12:00 midnight, 5 November 2019. See the “Submission Criteria” below.
The contest is open to all, professional and amateur, regardless of age, sex or nationality who are clients, students and friends of the organizer. Entrants under 18 years of age require the permission of a parent or guardian. By entering the contest, entrants under 18 years of age indicate that they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian.
- The works must be created during the entry period.
- Total numbers of entries for are limited to a total of twenty (20) works; The same works or portions of the same works cannot be submitted into multiple categories.
- Entry is limited to original works.
- All categories are open to any related subject matter as defined by the category.
- Image data files created with digital still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras). Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both color and monochrome images will be accepted.
- File size: Up to 128 MB per work
- File format: JPEG/150-300dpi recommended
- Watermarks: Submissions must be free of watermarks to maintain anonymity in the judging process. The Organizer will add watermarks prior to images being displayed.
- Metadata: The originators name, copyright and other data may be in the file metadata.
- The standard color space for the judging process is sRGB. Note: Winners may be requested to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes related to the contest.
- Video files created using the video-recording feature of digital still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras).
- Length: 4 minutes
- File size: Up to 800 MB
- File format: MOV or MP4 only
- Any music used must either be copyright-free and performed and recorded by the entrant or a person designated by the entrant (copyright-free music may be used) or be works for which the entrant holds the copyright and for which the copyright has not been transferred to a copyright collective or other body.
All entries must be uploaded into a DropBox account or other group file that can be accessed by the Organizer. The link should be sent to Eric Keibler at divesafe at OceanicVentures.com. Please remember to allow the organizer to edit the files so they can be downloaded or transferred by the organizer.
When you send in your entry, you also agree to all of the terms and conditions contained in the full Oceanic Ventures Photography Contest 2019 Rules.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.