Imagine selecting your own dinner fresh out of the water. This is what spearfisherman do every time they go out hunting. Learn the basics of spearfishing with a pole spear and a band gun with an emphasis on safety, sustainability and fun.
What is the class schedule?
|Class 1||Orientation, spearfishing basics, rules, equipment, rigging, diving, safety|
|Class 2||Operating a speargun underwater, target practice|
|Open Water Session||Beautiful Blue Lagoon – Equpment configuration and line management|
There are no upcoming events at this time - Contact Dive Mom for more events!
To benefit most from the course, you should complete all of the reading and textbook exercises prior to attending class. You will also need a total diving system including weights, and cylinders. The weight cylinders can be rented for the program from Oceanic Ventures
Like any training program, your ratings and certification cards will be awarded when earned and by completing all of the requirements and paperwork.
What will I learn?
This program will include:
- The “whys” of spearfishing.
- The types of fish to hunt in our diving area.
- The types of spearfishing equipment and why you might choose it.
- The basics of underwater hunting.
- How to handle the spearfishing equipment safely on the boat and underwater.
- The State and Federal regulations governing spearfishing.
- How to clean and prepare fish for cooking or freezing.
- Some suggestions for how to cook your fish.
What is included in the program?
- Instruction for all class, pool & open water sessions
- Educational materials including, lecture notes and cards when earned
- Use of instructional aids for class
- Use of a pole spear and band gun in the confined water session
Not Included: Total Diving System, transportation to the open water sessions (car pool can be arranged), park entrance fees, cylinders and air fills for open water sessions.
What equipment is required?
This program is centered aroudn spearfishing on scuba. However, most of the same principles apply to spearfishing while freediving. Becasue this program is scuba centered, you will need a total diving system with the appropriate environmental protection for the diving conditions. Your Instructor can hoep you determine what woudl be a good choice for the diving destinations.
Required Equipment beyond Basic System: Your instructor will work with you to determine what is best for your needs and goals (please wait and talk to your instructor prior to purchasing new equipment so you don’t purchase things you may not be able to use in the program)
- Spool or Reel
What is the minimum class size and the maximum class size?
- Minimum: 2 person minimum for class,
- Maximum: 6 (although there will be a 4 to 1 ratio of Dive Leader to student)
Become eligible for the 2018 Master Diver Challenge and Drawing
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ann Keibler at 713.523.3483 or via email.
What are the prerequisites?
Open Water Certification
What specialty classes are covered?
Club Member Special
Club Aquarius members receive special pricing. Log-in to see the special price.
(Club membership entitles you to discounts on many of our classes, invitations to special events, special Member previews and much much more.).